How the Flu kickstarted my Decision to Start an Autoimmune Diet

I’ve been away from the blog for a while, that’s because I caught a cold, then developed a cold sore and finally I caught the flu which I’m still recovering from.  The funny thing is that I haven’t had any of these in the longest time, I mean years and then BAM!  All 3 buses came at once!  I used to suffer a lot from colds with complications of chest infections and painful sinuses and was regularly given antibiotics, this was before the days I knew that antibiotics were not man’s best friend.

Anyway I got the flu and I also discovered that this illness which I have been on the road to healing is actually autoimmune.  I didn’t know this you see because my very ‘helpful’ doctors haven’t yet given me a proper diagnosis, except from Benign Fasciculation Syndrome which basically means your body is spasming and that’s just the way it is.

I had done ever so well before catching the flu, I had my bad days and very rarely awfully excruciating days but generally my symptoms have been manageable with times when I actually felt normal.  I put this down to all the spiritual and psychological healing that has taken place to date because, when I first fell ill, I lived to sleep, feared leaving the house and when it got really bad I prayed for death.

So the flu woke me up, symptoms that I hadn’t experienced even in my really bad days manifested again and it made me realise two things:

1. that I actually don’t have Benign Fasciculation Syndrome but the autoimmune Cramp Fasciculation Syndrome instead.
  2. That I have become really complacent about my healing because my symptoms have become more or less manageable and I can do things and I have grown so much in my walk that I had forgotten that the goal is healing not being OK.

So catching the flu has been a roundabout blessing for me in that it has opened my eyes to two realities and has really convicted me to take the next step on my road to healing.

The Impact of Diet on Healing

I have been aware for some time of the influence of diet on health, I have made some big changes to my diet already which is also why I think my health and well-being has improved.  I have more or less eliminated dairy, gluten and chocolate/cocoa in that order.  If anybody asks me whether it has helped the answer would be a resounding yes.  When I did the Passover Cleanse a couple of years ago I not only lost weight going from a high 12 pushing size 14 to a low size 10, but I also felt more energetic.

But all that although great obviously hasn’t been enough to enable my body to fully heal, and full healing is possible I just have to look at all the many testimonials of people who have reversed and put their autoimmune illness into remission.  And to be honest I feel that I have a secret weapon, I have YAH, His grace and His promises on my side.

So my decision which I have already begun to implement is to tackle the issue of diet with gusto, I will be broadly eliminating food groups one by one before starting to re-introduce them and seeing the effect on my body.  I know it will be hard, food and emotions go hand in hand as well as food and custom, food and practicality, food and relationships but if I go step-by-step by YAH’s grace I will succeed.

There are things which I kinda know I will face like mood swings, the Passover Cleanse was quite traumatic for me as I craved chips like crazy and often felt like I was both starving and depriving myself of ‘real’ food.  I have and will most likely face other Believers who choose to judge what I am doing, who don’t understand why I need to ‘go on a diet’ and prefer to simply say “just have faith”.  To those people, I really don’t know what to say to you.

I am very happy with my decision, I am sure it will further test me, refine me and even clarify my own faith and beliefs and that’s really important because true success and wholeness (shalom) comes when our physical life is in alignment with our true self.  I would be lying though if I said I wasn’t nervous even anxious, but I recall that as i transitioned from 2013 to 2014 YHWH laid these words on my heart “Beyond Fear”, freedom comes when we can move beyond fear.

So here’s to the next step on my road to healing, I’m not sure how long it will last or what I will meet along the way but I do know that my God is with me.

Meditation Verse:

Fear not; for I am with you: be not dismayed; for I am your God: I will strengthen you; yea, I will help you; yea, I will uphold you with the right hand of my righteousness.  (Isaiah 41:10)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. says

Amen, God is with you AND He is your SHALOM… your total peace so that you have nothing missing nor broken in any area. He IS your healing, Sis.
    Thanks for sharing your journey with me/us.
    ~Author Donna Marie Johnson, The Love Infused Marketing and Graphics Strategist

• Florence Achama says

Hi Donna Marie, thanks for your kind words and standing in agreement with me, it means a lot. Please drop by every once in a while to see where YAH is taking me.

Shalom in Messiah x

2. says

Florence very informative post, didn’t know about it but I do now because of your passion to help others, thanks. We all have a journey to take and if others don’t understand why your path has been laid out in this direction well, they don’t know the creator as well as they should. You keep your head up and push forward and he’ll continue you to guide. Really impressed with this plus your site is real nice. Thanks for the information.

Gregory

• Florence Achama says

Hi Gregory, thanks so much for stopping by and leaving such encouraging words 🙂

I also visited your site and was really touched by what you are doing – your story is inspiring and I think there are many people who would really benefit from your experience and support.

3. Rachel says

I too am looking to move ‘beyond fear’ into freedom and found this article really helpful. Please don’t listen to those who judge you for looking at dietary means to help your health. Our God created us with body, mind and spirit, they are all interconnected and we honour and worship Him with all three. What you said about being called a ‘broken healer’ struck a chord too. Wounded people respond to fellow sufferers who have some understanding of what they are going through, but without God’s healing and grace they risk getting stuck in the brokenness together. As you continue your journey, thank you for sharing, and leading others to Him as the source of wholeness.

• Florence Achama says

Hi Rachel, thank you so much for your encouragement and your words. I hear what you’re saying about stuck in brokeness, a couple of years ago I wanted to start a support group but after a bit of honest introspection I knew that I wasn’t ready and wanted to start it up for the wrong reasons. I wouldn’t have helped many if any people at all. 🙂

It’s nice to be able to share my joruney with others and hope that it will be a real encouragemnt to others.

Shalom Rachel

4. Dr. Rick Hasemeier says

I deal with patients/clients everyday that are struggling with autoimmune issues and making the necessary lifestyle changes are critical to making a difference in their life’s.
    You might want to consider looking at the cross reacting foods to gluten .

They are: Rye, barley, spelt, polish wheat, cow;s milk, (casein and whey protein) oats, yeast, instant coffee, sesame, buckwheat , sorghum, millet, hemp, amaranth, quinoa, tapioca, teff, soy, egg, corn, rice, potato .
    You can learn more about these foods and testing at http://www.cyrexlabs.com . I believe this testing is currently available in U.S.

Be patient with yourself about removing foods from your life ,because it is a process.

Dr. Rick

• Florence Achama says

Hi Dr Rick,

thanks for your insight I knew about all the seeds and grain but not about the egg. So far I have discovered that I don’t respond well to cashew nuts, not sure if it’s the nuts or the yeast on the nuts???

I am not based in the US but I will use the good old fashioned elimination diet – i am getting used to cutting out the foods as you say it’s a process.

Please stop by again